Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Feed Program intern values experience and keeps going

Anna Howard, Animal Feed Program

Anna in her home office.

Editor’s Note: This is a follow-up to the Insider’s feature about Anna Howard when she joined WSDA as an intern this summer. Here she looks back and reflects on her experience. 

Over the past several months as an intern for the WSDA Animal Feed Program, I’ve had opportunities to grow academically and professionally. 

I recently graduated with an interest in public health work. So it’s been exciting for me to work in the animal feed regulation field, which incorporates public health and safety in a unique way. 

As a member of the animal feed team, I’ve taken part in online training and meetings with industry partners from all over the country. This has allowed me to learn about  feed industry topics like inspections and sampling procedures, manufacturing and processing standards, and recalls. 

In addition, this internship has helped me develop and practice new professional skills such as organization, project management, communications, auditing, and outreach. 

One of the major goals of my position was to help the program implement and maintain the Animal Feed Regulatory Program Standards (AFPRS) by reviewing and updating existing program documentation and identifying areas of improvement. Reviewing procedures and forms gave me greater insight into the program’s purpose, responsibilities, and scope, and I was able to use critical thinking and analysis. 

Practicing creativity 

Throughout my internship, I performed desk audits of inspection and sampling reports and helped identify solutions for corrective actions and staff training. Producing trainings and quizzes based on various standards allowed me to present material in a creative way. 

I also refined my creativity and writing skills by working on the program’s monthly newsletters. 

My favorite task was beginning a new outreach project with my supervisor and the WSDA Communications Office, and brainstorming ways to creatively get information to industry partners. I learned about the importance of outreach and making information accessible and engaging for an audience. 

Thankfully, I will be able to continue this project and several others because my position has been converted to part time and extended until July 2021. 

I have learned a tremendous amount in my time with the Animal Feed Program. I can only imagine how much more I will be able to learn and do over the course of the next year. 

In summary: Over the past several months as an intern for the WSDA Animal Feed Program, Anna Howard has been learning and growing academically and professionally. Here she looks back and reflects on her experience. She’s been such an asset to the program that her position has been extended into next year.