Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Randy Taylor, WSDA colleague and friend, passes away after brief illness

Karla Salp and Hector Castro
Communications


Randy removing bush infested with gypsy moths
Earlier this month, staff members in WSDA’s Pest Program learned their colleague and friend Randy Taylor had died after a brief illness. Randy’s death shocked many in the agency as his illness had been discovered only days before he passed away.

At the time of his passing, Randy was the managing entomologist with the Pest Program. He began with the agency in 1998 as a non-permanent gypsy moth trapping supervisor. But in his years at WSDA he also worked on projects to manage apple maggot, citrus longhorn beetle, and Japanese beetle.

Randy was involved in some unique projects as well, including an experiment to use bicycles to check gypsy moth traps in urban areas and training to climb trees to check for insect damage.
At times, his work, particularly on gypsy moth eradication, required a deft touch managing the public outcry, something Randy was good at.

Randy training pest program bicycle trials
“He had a way to diffuse a situation or making the public at ease with a few words and a calm demeanor during a spray, public meeting or door-to-door,” Jenni Cena said. “Over the years, I have been in a few similar situations, so I would think ‘What would Randy do or say.’ I never perfected Randyism, but the trying had been helpful.”

Family man

While Randy was very dedicated to his work, and loved sports, he was also a devoted family man who was married with two children and two grandchildren.

“He was an amazing guy with a kind heart. Things I always remember about Randy clear until the last conversation is him filling me in on his grandkids,” Tracy Shirek said. “He had a deep love for his family. I was lucky to be able to work with what we call a “good guy.” He’ll be really missed, his personality, laughter, humbleness are just a few great things about him.”

Randy and coworkers hard at work
To many, he was simply fun to work with.

“One of the things I loved most about Randy was his laugh – usually just a chuckle that almost seemed like he was laughing at a private joke,” Karla Salp said.

As a manager, Randy was loved and highly respected.

“His leadership was awesome in so many ways,” Donald Duguay said. “The two traits he had that always stood out to me were his steady, calm and cool temperament, and his awareness of his employees’ wellbeing. It was an honor and privilege to call him BOSS.”

Susan Brush added, “Randy cared about his employees and considered their personal well-being. He put a lot of thought into his decisions and how to best implement them for the success of the group as a whole. His perspective and sense of stewardship over how we engage our projects and employees was an example we should all strive for.”

Randy explains gypsy moth trapping to mayor of Eatonville
Randy passed away just as the program he helped lead was about to embark on an important project, a gypsy moth eradication spray operation. His absence has been challenging for the team.

“He was a friend as well as a colleague. His loss is very personal and irreplaceable. This week will be difficult for many of us. To move forward in the Pest Program without Randy is hard to fathom and painful to think about,” Jim Marra said.

Colleague tributes

Here are some other thoughts team members shared:

Rian Wojahn: “I have too many stories after all the years. I just want to say this: You hired me and were my mentor until the end. I miss you RT, and won't forget anything you taught me.”

Tiffany Pahs: “I am forever grateful for Randy’s guidance, support and willingness to listen. He was always able to bring humor to any situation. Overall, a great guy to work for and with.”

Randy checking of invasive pests in tree tops
Mike Klaus: “My favorite time with Randy was a day-long trip we took down to the Klickitat County Pest Board meeting in Dallesport on the Columbia. I gave him a historical tour of old AM [apple maggot] program hotspots from Yakima-Goldendale- Klickitat, Maryhill (including good fishing spots) Lyle, WA etc. It was a beautiful day much like today.”

Jenni Cena: “I celebrated him by buying him several drinks; all were left untouched on the counter or table for him for later. Silly tribute, but it made me smile.”

In summary: Randy Taylor, longtime employee of WSDA's Pest Program, passed away suddenly after a brief illness. Many in the agency, and especially his program colleagues, remember Randy with respect and fondness.